Monday, September 22, 2014

Stairs are the Devil and other things I've learned post-half marathon

I trained for months for yesterday's half marathon. The training plan I printed off in the spring is all crumpled up with lots of notes in different ink pen colors, each one detailing what I actually accomplished that day. Some of it is so messy, it looks like a deranged person penned it.

Oh. Wait.

I even thought to use my ChapStick on my underarms because they were chaffing so badly at about mile six or seven even though I'd trained with the same tech T-shirt multiple times. I must have read that somewhere along the way and it worked like a charm.

What I didn't give much thought to was what I would do post-race. Yeah, I knew I'd be a bum the afternoon of the race, rest up on Monday and cut back on my mileage, but that's about it. No plan. No tips. Nada.

I went looking for some advice on my favorite site, Runner's World magazine, where I found some general tips about taking it slow the first week and ramping up mileage later on.

What I didn't come across was the kind of tips or commentary so easily found on my Facebook feed from all of the women I know who also ran the half marathon yesterday.

"Stairs are the devil. That's all." read one post this morning. Hmph. I shook my head. Not sure what she's talking about. I really felt just fine. A little sore, sure, but not bad at all.

Until I tried to walk up or down even a step or two. What's that twinge in my muscles? Holy mother of ... what is THAT? And why do my stomach muscles feel like I did enough sit ups to have a washboard stomach instead of blubber?

Apparently, a smart runner would have booked a sports massage for the day after the race. This chica now has to wait until Thursday night to see someone who can start working on the kinks and tightness (#runnerproblems). I'll let y'all know how that goes.

And what's with the run-ger? Can't seem to stop eating. Or at least can't seem to want to stop eating. I didn't give in to every single hunger pang, but there were some moments I don't want to talk about. Ever.

I've also learned that it's a good idea to stretch as much as possible. I did so twice yesterday and again tonight. Can't say I noticed any difference, but I'm not taking any chances.

Another runner friend said tomorrow will probably be worse than today. Giving you all a head's up now so you can buy more stock in Bayer, the maker of Aleve.

What's on deck tomorrow? Depends on which plan you follow. I, for one, hope to at least get out for a walk and do some yoga for runners.

That's only if I can go down the stairs at home in the morning. Gulp.

How did you feel in the days after a race? Did you have a plan on how you would recover? Did you eat your weight in can't-leave-alone-bars after your race? No? Oh, neither did I.

No comments:

Post a Comment