Saturday, August 30, 2014

This is one happy chica

Weather called for 90 percent rain (specifically, thunderstorms). The sky looked gray. The air even smelled like rain. What's a chica to do?

I laced up and headed out, figuring I'd run a mile or two after a few days off (six, but who's counting?). I didn't feel any better after all that "rest," so I just wanted to go out and see how it felt.

Happy to report it felt just great. Actually, it felt awesome.

We're at Aloha State Park for the weekend and I wasn't sure if I'd get out. I brought my gear, just in case.

This is one of our favorite campgrounds and because of the holiday, it's packed, so I made may way through all of the loops, people and dog watching to keep myself entertained, with an eye on the sky. Two miles into my run, I just knew I shouldn't press my luck, so I meandered to the ranger station to find a trail they told me about at check in (but only because I asked).


From Aloha SP you can pick up the North Eastern State Trail. If you've not heard of the NEST, please consider checking it out next time you're Up North. This one is 71 miles long and goes from Cheboygan south to Alpena, crossing through the great metropolis of Aloha, Tower, Onaway, Millersburg, Hawks, Metz, Posen, Bolton and Cathro

The trail is 10 feet wide and is made up of crushed, packed limestone. No vehicles are allowed, but people run, walk and bike on it. In the winter, cross country skiers and snowmobilers use it, too. No, I won't be partaking of the winter wonderland.

I ran over to the trail head, just to make sure I could find it because it is not well marked. I ran on it for about .1 miles, then quickly got off. Instead, I ran through a nearby neighborhood by Mullet Lake and made my way back to our campsite, only distracted by a sudden urge to run down every runner I saw to make sure they knew about the trail. (That could have been embarrassing.)

Thankfully, the rain held off until I was safely back in our RV. It's supposed to rain all day today and part of tomorrow. But I've got my eye on you. NEST. Just you wait until tomorrow. I'm going to pounce on you like a fat cat on a chihuahua puppy.

You'll see.

Credit: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/soon





No comments:

Post a Comment