Thoroughly enjoyed getting out today, despite temperatures in the 20s F. Brrr...
In addition to the usual iPhone, YurBuds headphones and Nike Hyperwarm gear, today's run was brought to you by so many tools, it should be sponsored by both Home Depot and Lowe's. Let me be more specific:
1. This chica got to run/walk 3 miles today using the Galloway Method.I'm keeping the April 19 Gazelle Girl Half Marathon on my schedule for now.
2. And in order to switch from walking to running, I used my new toy, err, tool: my birthday gift from el husbando, the Garmin Forerunner 10.
The watch can be set up to beep at whatever intervals you choose. I did 30:30 run/walk. I do need to research whether the volume can be adjusted up because I turned down my Pandora three different times and I almost missed the prompts.
3. My new Brooks Ghost 6s. Men's size to accommodate my orthodics and to avoid pink shoes. If you haven't figured it out yet, la chica is a tomboy. (Ignore the pink stripe on my SmartWool socks.)
4. Cheap-o reusable hand warmers. Got some RuffHewn brand warmers the day after Thanksgiving for about $3. They're not at all what I expected, but I'm keeping them for now. They only last for less than 30 minutes each and you have to boil them for about 15 minutes afterward to reactivate. Ugh. I've been using one at a time and switching them from hand to hand, especially when I walk my favorite dog. Pulled them out for today's run because it was ccccold. Brrrr.
5. This article, which I found incredibly helpful as I learn how to adjust with a brand-new arthritis diagnosis. Coach Jenny Hadfield has some great tips which I'm trying to incorporate. The only one I'm struggling with is eating a low inflammatory diet. What, no donuts? Coach Jenny is helpful, but no fun.
6. Naproxen. Better living through chemistry and all that jazz.
7. An extra layer over my favorite Nike jacket. My also-brand-new-gift-from-someone-who-loves me: a Woolrich zip-up fleece jacket. I needed it today. Bad. And yesterday. Um. Actually, I've worn it every day since I received the gift.
Since I've talked about my other must-have gear before, I'm leaving it at that. The one thing I should have also taken advantage of was a nap. Maybe since I don't have a Walking Dead or Talking Dead episode to watch tonight, I might actually go to bed at a reasonable hour. Unlikely, but a chica can dream.
What are your favorite running tools? Did you get any running gear or tools for your birthday?