Friday, December 5, 2014

Boys and their toys. Oh, wait.

This chica got to play with a new toy today and got to go for a run.You'd think it was Christmas around here.
Source: Mashable
Almost.

El husbando was very generous for my birthday/Christmas gift this year and even encouraged me to try out my new, shinny Garmin Forerunner 10 ahead of schedule. I got the larger model so that I can, ahem, read the numbers without my glasses. Did I mention I'm having a birthday next week? Be nice.

After another round of tests, my doc cleared me to run as long as I feel OK, so after spending my days off from running reading about the different half-marathon training plans online, I settled on Jeff Galloway's.

If you're not familiar, Galloway recommends run/walk intervals. He sells a $20 timer on his site that beeps at designated times to let you know when you can walk or run. For example, run 30 seconds, walk 30 seconds. Rinse. Repeat.

Enter the new Garmin, which allows you to set up the intervals and keeps track of pace, time and distance. The watch is very easy to use (there are several well-made YouTube videos explaining different features) and felt comfortable as an everyday watch.

Like Galloway's timer, the Garmin beeps as the interval is coming, then beeps again when you're supposed to switch between running and walking. It was like running with this guy:

Source: Looney Tunes
I really liked getting the prompt to switch between running and walking. And despite adding a walking component, my 30-minute run went by ridiculously fast. I'll reserve judgement both on the training plan and the watch until I can spend some more time on both.

For now, I'm just happy to have the opportunity to talk about something other than my butt. Let's call that my gift to you.

Do you use a GPS running watch? What kind and what do you like about it? Have you used a run/walk training program?

No comments:

Post a Comment