Tuesday, August 19, 2014

So you have an ouchie?

Get at least two runners together and once we're done talking about how much we love running, the conversation inevitably turns to our injuries, what treatments we've tried and which doctors we've seen.

I hear it so much that I want to get a T-shirt that reads "I love running. Just ask my physical therapist, doctor, chiropractor and masseuse."

It doesn't matter if you've just met. Every single detail is shared with great enthusiasm. Apparently, the correct response is to make polite, understanding noises ... and to share your woes when it's appropriate.

Just a few days ago, I ran into someone I'd only met one other time at a business meeting. The conversation quickly turned to running when we both realized the other woman runs, or in her case, ran. We proceeded to each list our wounds and how we've coped. There were about 20 other people in the room, like us, waiting for our meeting to start. We could have talked for hours.

Piriformis syndrome. Knee pain. Tight calves. Back aches. Cross training options.

This weekend, my sister-in-law who's recently returned to running (way to go, Michelle!) was asking me about knees. I was in the middle of a 7-mile-run through trails, but I could have talked to her for another 45 minutes on this topic alone. New shoes; ice; take an extra rest day; do the right stretches; raise your legs when you can; don't over-do it. You'd think we were 90-year-olds talking about our arthritis and bunions.

Later, I sent her links to Runner's World magazine articles and videos. I spent an inordinate amount of time reading the magazine's online content.  About knees. I was enthralled.

Which begs the question: At what point do the injuries and pain make it so we don't enjoy running?

Yesterday, I wrote about the pain in my butt. Also known as dumb butt syndrome.


So far, it's manageable but certainly not fun. I'm so focused on running my first half marathon that I'm putting up with it for another five weeks. After that? Who knows? I may be forced to deal with the root cause of the pain and maybe even -- grrrrr -- decrease my mileage for a while.

In the meantime, I am rather enjoying writing about what ails me. Now it's your turn. What injuries or pain have you endured to get your run in? What worked? Did it force you to stop running? How did you cope?


No comments:

Post a Comment